Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Fear of Sweat...

I'm going to go ahead and warn you that this post will not be glamorous at all. However, I'll try to fill it with as much sass as possible. Oh, and we'll be talking more about "glistening" that "glittering."

Are you afraid of sweating in public? Do you know someone that is?

It's an odd thing to think about, but I believe the fear is more common than we give it credit. There are some many products out there that promote the idea of "not sweating." Don't get me wrong? I want to cover up my BO just as much as the next person. However, with all the anti-perspirants/deodorants, scented lotions, perfumes, scented hair products (from shampoo and conditioner to mousse), and all the others that I'm sure I'm missing because it's late and I'm tired, it's not surprising.

Why am I talking about this? What exactly made me think of this?

Well, during my workout today I had decided on blogging about how Matilda the Musical is becoming my favorite workout album during cardio. Don't worry, theatre lovers, I still fully intend on writing that one. It just won't be tonight. Anyway... my workout buddy finished before me, about 6 minutes before me exactly, but I was bound and determined to finish my last 30 minutes on the treadmill even if it killed me.

After I finished, I wiped down the machine and walked over to her. (She's awesome and always waits for me if she finishes early.) Sweat was dripping down my face, neck, back. I looked a HOT MESS for sure. Without skipping a beat, she said, "You're sweating, and I'm just over here like 'I need to get out of here before I start.'" Then, we talked about how awesome I was feeling even though I was glistening enough to be picked up an satellite feed.

On the drive home was when I really began to think about it. Why are we so afraid to sweat in public? It's a natural occurrance. Our bodies are made to sweat. It's how we cool down and detox. It's completely natural. However, society has programmed us to think that if we are sweating, we are just too out of shape or smell bad or whatever. Everything is supposed to come easily and sweat makes it look like you had to put forth effort.

That's when I realized that THAT was the key! EFFORT! I'm on this weight loss adventure right now, and for once, I understand that it will not happen overnight. The benefits I achieve will come from the effort I put forth. That's awesome! I'm in control! No one else is going to fix my body. Not doctors, not prayer chains, not God... but ME! It is all up to me and the amount of effort I'm willing to put forth.

That's the awesome part about sweating at the gym or track or dance class or wherever you may be. There's no shame in being caught sweaty in public. Look around the gym the next time you are there. Everyone else is probably sweating too. They are putting forth effort to better themselves, whether they are working towards losing weight, maintaining weight, or gaining weight. They are putting forth an effort for themselves. We all sweat! There's no shame in that!

Now, is it embarrassing to be caught with pit stains when you've done nothing but sit at your desk in your office all day? More than likely, yes, but I say... don't freak out. Don't fear the sweat. We all get caught with pit stains.

As always, keep it sassy,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment