Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Sometimes People Change...

Sometimes we change for the better. Sometimes we don't. It all just depends on the circumstances surrounding our decision or indecision to change.

I found myself surrounded by a collection of different circumstances a few weeks ago. I was more depressed than I had been in a very long time. For those of you who don't personally know me, let me give you a little background info on myself.

My name is Sarah. I grew up in one of the smallest towns in existence called Mooresburg, TN. I have never been thin. I have never been fit. I have never been attractive or pretty. This has led me to live a fairly (I say fairly because I have had fun in my life... some fun that I even regret) sheltered life. I've only dated one person in my entire life. I'm socially awkward. The only time I seem to fit in is when I in rehearsal or performing. I'm an actor/singer/fancer (fake dancer, for those of you who just thought, "WTF?!").

A few weeks ago, I stepped on a scale for the first time in a long time and was shocked at the number I saw. No, I'm not going to tell you what it was. However, I will tell you it is the heaviest I have EVER been. This did not help my depression whatsoever. So, I thought to myself, "What can I do to remedy this?"

Let me just say, if there has been a diet... I have probably tried it. Dieting is not easy for me. I love food, fatty foods. I love french fries and soda (especially a Coca-Cola). I love carbs. Bread, pasta, you name it. Oh, and it doesn't help that those are the cheapest things you can buy in a grocery store. So, I often find myself living off Subway sandwiches (because I unfortunately still work there even with my college degree) and spaghetti. Diets + me = more harm than good.

This time, though, I did something that wasn't dieting. I got online and started looking up gyms in the area. See, I have lots of friends who are health junkies. I'm talking marathon runners, crossfit trainers, nutritionist, Zumba class members, swimmers, dancers... you name it, I probably have a friend who does it.

A friend and coworker of mine has a membership at Anytime Fitness here in town. Not to mention the other friends I have across the country who are also members. So, I took a wild hair and signed up for a tour and 7-day trial membership. Little did I know, I would be signing up for an 18 month membership by the time I left after my tour.

Let me go ahead and tell you... it is the best decision I have ever made. Bre (my friend and coworker) and I go every night at 9pm. I will literally be heading there right after I finish writing this. My other friend, Jon (aka You Know, Jon) has been so supportive, he comes down every Saturday to go for a morning walk with me before we go out for a healthy lunch. He has his own blog that he has just started. He's attempting a paleo-vegan lifestyle for 9 week. If you are interested in checking out/supporting him, you should check out Jon's Paleo-Vegan Experiment.

So, how am I doing now? Well, as of last night, I am 5 lbs. lighter than that dreaded weight I saw on the scale 3 weeks ago. Now, I know 5 lbs. in 3 weeks doesn't seem like much. However, that is 5 lbs. lost be working out alone. I haven't changed my eating habits yet. Right now, I'm ok with that. One step at a time.  Though, I will tell you that the more I work out, the more my eating habits adjust themselves on their own. I find myself drinking more water than I normally would before I started working out. Remember when I said I love soda? Yeah, that's not a lie. Soda = water to the pre-working out Sarah. I'm also becoming one of those annoying coconut water people. I know! I was shocked too, but after a while it just seems to taste SO GOOD! Oh, and let's not forget my obsession with salad at the moment! I am LOVING some salad! Though, this spring weather lends itself very easily to salads.

Sometimes we just change without realizing it is happening. I never thought I would be one of those people who went to the gym everyday, but here I am. It's almost been 3 weeks since I started my membership, and I couldn't be happier that I did.

I guess what I'm really saying is that you should probably get used to the words "gym, work, out, walking, healthy, lifestyle, veggies, fruits, coconut, and water" more often on this blog.

Keep It Sassy,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment